Riches Report

The Way We See It

Google

Sunday, January 10, 2010

What's Next?

Rob and I have been spending the holiday season and the first few weeks of January in California. Avoiding the winter weather back east was one motivation. The other was spending time with my cousin in LA and checking out the possibilities of living here for part of the year.

We are looking at this quite seriously as we have discovered that the several months of winter in Ontario is not conducive to our overall well being and happiness. At times it's just too cold to do anything but stay inside and keep warm. While this could be a great opportunity to be creative and write – which I have done – it does start to pale a bit after a few months. Staying warm becomes the primary imperative.

The idea that we have a choice here and that we can perhaps change our living conditions – having already done this once in the past few years by moving from the UK to Canada – seems pretty crazy in some ways. And yet, when I look down the next 10 to 20 years and see myself hitting that time of life known as the 'senior or elderly' years, I know that I don't want to be living in a cold climate. I also know that I want to continue to be active and working. There is still some juice left in me and I want to make sure that it all get's used.

Our generation of baby boomers has never settled for less than what we truly desire. We are I'm sure, a bit of a mystery to our kids and to our parents as we grew up. We have created our own rules and as we face the 'second shift' in our life, the question is how do you want your life to be? What will you fill the next 10 – 20 years with?

I may be just California Dreaming and one day I'll wake up and realize that it is all a dream. For now, pass the suntan lotion, I'm going for the sun.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:12 am, Anonymous Andrew McKay|WasagaBeachTalking.com said…

    We had the same idea and I'm posting from Florida. 3 weeks away from Wasaga Beach to break up the winter. However the snow followed us South, albeit only a few flakes.
    Freezing temperatures but at least our final week has forecasts back in the 70's.

     
  • At 12:21 pm, Blogger EllenRiches said…

    Hi Andrew,
    Appreciate your comment and nice to know that there are others doing the same!
    Glad that your final week will be a warm one - this snow has been brutal this winter. Almost as bad as last year.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home