Riches Report

The Way We See It

Google

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Gardens of the world

I have been obsessed lately with my garden and the lack of any flowers therein. It has seemed that spring has taken forever to arrive in England this year. I usually have my daffodils up by February and by this time they are dead and making way for the next blaze of colour; roses, tulips, and the bluebells. Everything is slower this year to bloom. Not being a terribly patient person, I have found this quite difficult.

Maybe that is why gardens are so impressive and glorious here; people can wait for years to create a beautiful garden. There seems to be an inherent understanding of what endures and can endure and what will fade away with time. They have instinctive patience for the cycles of time.

I sometimes wonder if that is some of the attitude to world affairs as well. This too shall pass and we will all return to our gardens and plant new seeds and in time, reap the rewards of this patience. If we wait long enough, Tony Blair will be replaced by someone else who thinks they can fix the NHS, the School System and bring about world peace through war.

In the meantime, the ever present and enduring gardeners of Great Britain, contribute more money to charity than any other people in any other country in the world. I guess that is why I keep raising the matter of charity work here - it is making a much bigger difference than the government could ever hope to.

Action Aid www.actionaid.org is doing incredible work and making a huge difference throughout the world. I am fortunate enough to be doing some work for them right now and so I have been reading up on what they do and have done for the past 30 years. Quite a bit it appears. One of their main objectives is to end poverty.

What is also wonderful about Action Aid is the challenging treks that you can get involved in: Amazon Trek & Kayak in Brazil, Trek the Inca Trail to Machu Pichu (something I want to do), Saigon to Angkor Wat Cycle Ride in Vietnam and Cambodia, Footseps of the Maasai Trek in Tanzania and then a Trek to the Home of the Dalai Lama in India. These treks allow you to see their work first hand.

Get involved, make a difference and have fun - all in one fell swoop. We live in a beautiful world and there are some fantastic gardens out there. I can only imagine what Machu Picchu will look like in May of 2007 - hopefully, I will get to see for myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home